Metal & Glass has supplied the cast iron rainwater system as well as bespoke side rafter rise & fall brackets, (manufactured from 316 stainless steel) as part of major refurbishment works at the Coventry Charterhouse.
Coventry Charterhouse estate includes the original Carthusian monastery’s Priory and Refectory (referred to now as the Charterhouse), built of local red sandstone in the late 1300’s, with enclosing inner and outer precinct walls. In addition, it has the below ground remains of the grand cloister, monks’ cells, church, chapter house, laymen’s accommodation and guest rooms, plus a school. The other buildings as well as a small chapel that predates the Priory remain to be discovered.
The priory itself was extended at the north gable in the 16th/18th century and again in Victorian times, when a house was built on to the south gable and an enclosed veranda built on to the front elevation. Other buildings include a coach house, on two floors, sheds and an apple store. With the exception of some more recent storage sheds, all the buildings on the site are worthy of preservation.
The Charterhouse survives remarkably little changed from Elizabethan times and was used as a private residence until 1941, when Colonel Wyley bequeathed it to the people of Coventry.
The last use of the Charterhouse was as part of Coventry City College. They vacated in 2009, since when it has been empty. The College offered the building for sale in 2011 but met with strong local opposition from the community, who rightly opposed the sale. The Charterhouse Coventry Preservation Trust (CCPT) was formed and acquired the building and some of the land in 2012. It is working its way through a backlog of repairs, to keep the building wind and watertight while it develops its plans for the future.
The Historic Coventry Trust has worked with local people and professional consultants over the past 4 years to develop a plan which fully restores the buildings and brings them into use as part of a wider Heritage Park.
The trust were awarded a £4.7 million grant from Heritage Lottery Fund to commence the first stage of the project and the Coventry Historic Trust is working in partnership with Coventry City Council to create this new heritage attraction set in a heritage park and complemented by new visitor facilities including a café, shop and small conference/wedding venue.
As part of phase one of the works, which involved the restoration of the main monastery buildings, Metal & Glass were commissioned to supply a range of cast iron rainwater goods, including 150mm plain half round guttering, nozzle outlets and stop ends as well as round offset pipes, pipe ears and round shoes, all of which was finished in a premier extra gloss black paint.
In addition, Metal & Glass provided 120 bespoke made side rafter rise and fall brackets, manufactured from 316 stainless steel, to support the rainwater system and affix it to the aging building.
For more information on the full range of Metal & Glass cast iron gutters, pipes, soil products and fitting and rooflights, please contact our team on 01752 917497 or email firstname.lastname@example.org